-The North Carolina Opportunity Scholarship-
The Opportunity Scholarship Program is a scholarship program that provides annual scholarships for tuition and fees at an eligible private school. This program allows families to access the education best fit for their child’s needs.
Who Can Apply?
Parents of any North Carolina student entering kindergarten through 12th grade.
What Are the Eligibility Requirements?
Students must meet the following requirements to be eligible for the Opportunity Scholarship:
- At least 5 years old by August 31 or at least 4 years old by April 16 and approved for Kindergarten according to State guidelines
- Lives in North Carolina
- Has not graduated from high school
- Has not enrolled in a post-secondary institution full-time
Note: Scholarship amount is determined by household income
How Much is the Scholarship?
Scholarships range from approximately $3,000 to $7,000 and are based on a family’s household income. Scholarships can be used to pay the required tuition and fees to attend an eligible private school.
- Families may be responsible for other specific fees charged by a school.
- Families can be considered for both the Opportunity Scholarship and GDS Financial Aid.
When Can I Apply?
February 1 – March 1, 2024 (after March 1st, families will be on the state’s waitlist.)
See How to Apply for more information.
Experience that will last a lifetime.
All admitted applicants in grades 5-11 are reviewed by the Scholarship Committee for potential merit scholarships.
Nominated students may be asked to submit supplemental materials and to complete an on-campus interview.
– The Kimbrell Family Scholarship –
An academically competitive scholarship for students in grades 5-11 who demonstrate top academic and civic accomplishments. Recipients typically have nationally normed test scores in the 90th percentile or higher and/or an unweighted GPA of 3.5 or higher. The mission of this scholarship is to bring the area’s brightest students to Gaston Day School.
– The W. Duke Kimbrell Scholarship –
The Duke is Gaston Day School’s highest honor covering 100% of tuition. Qualified applicants in grades 8-11 are invited to apply for this prestigious award. The Duke recipients must demonstrate:
- scholarly accomplishment that clearly demonstrates a record of academic excellence
- high moral fiber and significant involvement within one’s family
- strong inclination to lead with evidence of courage, unselfishness, and concern for others
- demonstrated interest to use one’s talents, as evidenced by participation in the applicant’s community and/or hobbies